Sunday, July 1, 2012

Books Read in June

I meant to write this post yesterday, being the last day of the month and all, but I guess June just slipped away.  So here we are:

The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Finished!  This was tough to get through.  I have to say I am not a fan of Hawthorne.  I have also read The Scarlet Letter and one of his short stories that Swimmah was assigned for a literature class last fall, and now I think I can safely say that I do not care much for Nathaniel Hawthorne, thank you.

Emma - Jane Austen
A re-read.  This is maybe my third time reading it, and I am noticing so much that I had skimmed over before.  That's how you know it's a classic, right?  One of my favorites.

A Thomas Jefferson Education -Oliver DeMille
Also a re-read.  I like to read homeschooling/educational classics frequently to keep me motivated and remind myself why I'm doing this.  Yes, we want our children to love learning and to fulfill their potentials!

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success - Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.
I can't remember now where I came across the recommendation for this book.  It reminded me a bit of another book I read early in the spring, The Genius in All of Us by David Shenk.  The basic premise of The Genius in All of Us is that greatness is not reserved for a gifted few, but that all of us have the potential to excel.  It just takes hard work and persistence, more than most of us put to use.  


Mindset claims that there are two basic mindsets: the fixed-mindset and the growth-mindset.  People with the fixed-mindset believe that our personalities and abilities are fixed; we can't change what we are.  So if you are not good at math, writing, or making friends, or what-have-you, that's just how it is.  Or conversely, if you are good at math, or whatever, then you are special, and that makes you better than someone who is not good at it.


Now those with the growth-mindset believe that people have the potential to change and grow.  So if they are not good at math, then they need to work harder so they can get better at it.  And they do.  And if someone is better at something than they are, they just think that the other person has had more practice with that particular something.  Then they work harder so they can improve.  She gives advice on how to promote the growth-mindset in our children, as well as ourselves.


The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
Audio.  We are listening to a BBC Radio production on CD in the car.  I think this is third time I've listened to this (third time's a charm?), I've read the books once completely through, and of course have seen the movies (more than once).  An oldy but a goody.


All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot
Still reading with Turtlegirl.  This may take a while as we don't seem to have as much time for reading aloud as we used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment