Tuesday, July 17, 2012

10 Totally Random Things On My Mind

The last few weeks I have been following the iHomeschool Network's 10 in 10 blog hop, and linking up to Many Little BlessingsTuesday Top Ten.  This week's top ten is 10 Totally Random Things On My Mind.  So here goes:


It's hot.  I know, all you (all y'all?) Southerners are rolling your eyes at this New England girl complaining about the heat and humidity.  But it is hot...and we don't have central air, so there!  Or a pool, as my kids keep reminding us.  OK, we do have window units.  But they're loud and wake me up at night.  Which probably explains all my kvetching today.
This is what I feel like doing.
What's for dinner?  This is the burning question, so to speak.  I know anyone who is responsible for feeding a family struggles with this.  It's complicated a bit in our home by having to feed two vegetarians and two non-vegetarians, one of whom also needs to keep the glycemic load to a minimum (meaning that pasta really isn't the best meal).  I have a few meal ideas that make everyone happy, but just a few.  And one of them is chili - and who wants that in this heat??

I think we're going to use The Story of US by Joy Hakim for our history spine this year.  It's at our library so that's a plus.  We have 2 of her The Story of Science books, which I like, but my kids aren't crazy about them. That is why I'm thinking that we'll use them as a spine, rather than the main reading source.  I'll look for other books, field trips, and movies to supplement.

I've become a chauffeur.  It's official.  Older kids means more activities, and until Swimmah can drive, Mom has to drive her.

I have picked 3 zucchini from my garden so far.  And one tomato is almost ready to pick.  We also have a tiny little eggplant and several teeny, tiny cucumbers.  Oh, and I made a small batch of pesto a couple of weeks ago, and have used some cilantro and rosemary as well.  OK, maybe summer heat isn't all bad.

I'm reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster.  It's lively and entertaining.  It is readable and I am enjoying it.  I'm also reading Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, and am finding all kinds of symbolism in it!  Well, I think it's fun, but I've always been kind of a word/literature geek.

How do people find the time to blog every day?  I'm struggling to find the time to blog 2 or 3 times per week.

I think I'm getting arthritis in my left index finger.  And aren't I too young for that?  I'm only 40-something.  But the top knuckle is enlarged and it feels a little stiff.

One of our cats has a sprained ankle. Or some part of her hind leg/paw.  And we did not take her to the vet, shame on us.  We had just had both our cats to the vet for their regular check-ups (ka-ching!), when she started limping.  We first noticed it in the evening after dinner and decided to see how she was doing the next morning.  She was noticeably better the next morning, and she does seem to be getting better every day.

I really need to get Turtlegirl to clean up her art supplies.  She's great about cleaning out the turtle/lizard/frog tanks - in fact that's usually what she's doing when I want her to do something else.  Hmmm.  But putting away bottles of paint?  Not high on her list of priorities.  After all, she knows right where to find them next time she wants to use them.

Was that random enough for you?  What's on your mind?



No comments:

Post a Comment