Friday, August 24, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: August 24

We spent last week on an island off the coast of Maine, visiting family.  A few days we had beautiful weather, and a few days we had not-so beautiful weather, but overall it was a very enjoyable week.

But still beautiful in the fog, although maybe a little chilly for swimming.


Now this week, back at home, we've been gearing up for the school year, making (or trying to make) final decisions on math programs and science topics to study.  And how are we going to keep track of our schedule and assignments?  One girl likes a calendar on the computer, the other prefers an old-fashioned paper desk calendar.  I actually found a student planner at Michael's for $3.00 - perfect!  In case you're wondering, our start date for the year will be September 4.

I've also been spending a fair amount of time cleaning out our big storage closet in the basement.  I know some bloggers are really good about posting before and after pictures, but it just didn't occur to me to take a picture of my closet.  Sorry.  Anyway, my husband's sister has three daughters, her youngest just older than Swimmah.  They give us A LOT of hand-me-downs, really more than my girls could ever wear!  Sometimes I wonder if my nieces even wore some of these clothes more than once or twice...  So I've been sorting through boxes and boxes of clothes and bagging up anything that my girls have outgrown or just are not going to wear, because it's maybe just not their taste.  I now have 5 garbage bags full of clothes to donate to a charitable organization yet to be determined.  Plus another garbage bag full of hoodies and fleece pullovers, and 3 winter coats, 1 raincoat and 1 fleece coat to donate to the warm clothing/winter coat drive at my husband's place of work.  Now we just need to get them out of the house...

Swimmah has also been cleaning out her bedroom closet, a chore that has been long overdue.  Based on the fact that there was a stack of old Ladybug magazines in there, I'm guessing that it's been at least 8, if not closer to 10 years since we really gave it a good decluttering.  Better late than never, right?

Enjoy your weekend!


This post is linked to the Weekly Wrap-Up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

7 comments:

  1. WoW Maine!!! We love to travel and have never been there. Sounds like a great way to end the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to clean out and organize a space. I love that feeling when it is all done, maybe not so much the process, but the end results - definitely! We are headed up to New England to visit family soon...not sure if we'll make it up to Maine, but it is certainly one beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit Maine and explore an island...even it if were foggy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! You were in my "neck of the woods". Wonder what island? I also grew up on a fishing island off the coast, but now live in western Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were on Vinalhaven. My sister's husband and son are lobstermen.

      Delete
    2. Oh, awesome! I grew up "around the cove". My Dad just retired from lobstering this summer. He's been doing it for over 45 years! I'm going to miss my lobster from the boat! ::sigh::

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place! I've never been to Maine but would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete