Friday, June 15, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: June 15

All in all, this has been a fairly productive week.  Last weekend, Swimmah had her first long-course swim meet, which means that they swim in a 50 meter pool, rather than a 25 yard pool used for the regular YMCA swim meets.  (Note: Turtlegirl also swims, but is content with the 25-yd pools.)  Swimmah did well and enjoyed it, but was pretty tired out the rest of the day.  So was I - check-in time was 7:45am at a pool about 45 minutes away.  Most of these meets are further away with an earlier start time, which is why Turtlegirl didn't want to sign up for these!  I can't say as I blame her...

On Monday, the three of us went to Mystic Aquarium to kick off our study of Marine Biology.  Highlights of the trip: the youngest beluga whale was playing with a blanket (or maybe it was a rug?); one of the penguins had a sprained ankle (I don't think we got a picture of it, though); the octopus had all his tentacles spread out over the glass of his tank - very cool!  More to come in another post.

I also spent some time in my garden, thinning the Black-eyed Susans that were threatening to take over the entire garden.  I had one friend who was willing to take some, but there was a whole lot more that I threw out.  I have to say, the garden is looking better now.

Also on the homefront, my cordless cellular shades for the family room came in and we hung those up.  I'm so happy with them, I'm wondering why I didn't do this sooner.  We had white sheer curtains with a valance since we moved here eleven years ago.  I took them down to wash a month or so ago and realized the shape they were in - claw marks from cats trying to look out the windows, paint on the set that was next to the kids' art table.  They were clearly past their prime.  I also couldn't bear to put the navy blue velour valances back up.  They just look so heavy in the summer.  I'll put them back up in the fall, but for now there are empty curtain rods over the new shades.  I'll have to do something about finding something lighter for the warmer months.

Last evening was our natural food co-op monthly delivery.  I help in the kitchen weighing out the bulk items for members.  Now that it's summer, many members are on vacations and getting more food locally, so the order was pretty small.  We were actually done in about an hour and a half.  Often in the winter, it takes us closer to 3 hours to weigh and distribute all the bulk items (that's with 3-4 people working on it).

This afternoon, the girls and I met some friends for a hike.  You can read about that later this weekend, or maybe not until Monday, here.

This post is linked to Weekly Wrap-Up.

2 comments:

  1. We need to get to an aquarium this year, too. Sounds like you are having a great summer so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's been years since we've visited Mystic Aquarium! We love walking around the little shops next door too...and going to Dinosaur Crossing. Anyway, sounds like you had busy week!

    ReplyDelete