Monday, October 1, 2012

Books Read in August and September

I was a bit remiss in posting books read in August.  I had actually started it as a draft and then just didn't get around to completing it and posting it until now, so I am doing two months at once.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
This is a book I had been meaning to read for years now.  I finally picked it up at the library in early August. I'm glad I read it.  Swimmah has been particularly taken with the dystopian genre for several months now and this is one that I will recommend to her.

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Recommended to me by my sister.  Victoria turns 18 and is emancipated from the foster care system; she now has to find her own way in life.

The Lost Wife - Alyson Richman
Recommended to me by my mother-in-law.  This is about a newlywed couple who are separated by the Holocaust, and reunited decades later.  Bittersweet.

The Giver - Lois Lowry
A reread, our first family book discussion selection.  We all enjoyed the book and had a great discussion!  We have also discovered that she wrote three companion books to make a quartet.  The last one is being released October 2, 2012.  We'll have to look for those.  Another dystopian novel.

How to Get Your Kids to Get Things DONE! - Jim Erskine
This ebook is really an article, not a whole book.  Luckily, I got it for free on my kindle.  I would have been really disappointed if I had paid for it and then read it all in about 10 minutes.  Not to mention that it still didn't answer my question of HOW to get your kids to get things done.  Make a list, have them start first thing in the morning, yada, yada, yada...  I guess I was looking for more of how to get your kids to want to get things done, to want to get a great education.  I already know the answer to that (see link to article on reluctant learners).  I guess I was just looking for more inspiration for the start of the school year.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson
I really enjoyed this one!  The Major is nothing if not quietly dignified in all situations.  He is also immensely likable.

Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners - Lori McWilliam Pickert
I mentioned this previously.  I did finish it and highly recommend it to anyone homeschooling, or thinking about homeschooling.

1 comment: