Friday, September 14, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: September 14

We're still getting used to our new fall schedule here.  The weather has been obligingly September-like, with warm sunny days and cool nights.  And with such lovely weather, it can be hard to be strictly back-to-the-books.

Monday morning was spent at home studying, and after lunch, we met some friends for a hike at Burr Pond State Park.  It was very pretty and, at least on a weekday in September, very peaceful as well.  We all agreed that it would be a great place to kayak.

My husband decided to take the afternoon off to go fishing on the Block Island Sound on Wednesday, and invited Swimmah to join him and his friend.  Turtlegirl doesn't enjoy ocean fishing - she tends to get a little seasick and even aside from feeling sick, just doesn't enjoy the constant motion of the waves.  I'm with her.  Anyway, that meant that Swimmah and Turtlegirl had their first morning of volunteering at the nature center and then Swimmah was fishing all afternoon with Dad.  Turtlegirl and I took the kayaks to a local pond for a couple of hours.  So no formal lessons on Wednesday, but they're learning plenty at the nature center, and I'm sure on the water as well.  That's the beauty of homeschooling, isn't it?

Swimmah and her dad with a false albacore she caught.

Swimmah's piano lesson has been on Tuesday afternoons for the past few years, and has just been switched to Thursday mornings.  I think it's going to take a couple of weeks to get used to that!  I knew on Wednesday that she had a lesson the next morning, but Thursday morning I forgot about it until I was in the shower.  Luckily, there was still almost an hour before her teacher was due to arrive - plenty of time for us all to get dressed!

Swim team started up again this week, with a modified practice schedule - ostensibly, to ease the swimmers into the regular practice schedule, but I think it's actually to confuse the parents with all the different practice times!

And today, Friday, is my husband's and my 21st wedding anniversary!  He's a great husband and a great dad to our daughters.  I can't believe it's been 21 years already!

Enjoy the weekend!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on 21 years!

    It looks like your kids have some great volunteer opportunities. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week. I hear swim team is very demanding (maybe more so on the parents).
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great anniversary! Now I am wondering if our local nature center takes volunteers? I think that is something my daughter would enjoy!

    Sherry
    http://stilleducatingemme.blogspot.com/2012/09/week-in-review.html

    ReplyDelete