Thursday, May 31, 2012

Books Read in May

The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne
I picked this one up almost a year ago, read the first few chapters, got sidetracked by easier/more fun reads, and recently picked it back up.  I think if I had read just one more chapter, it would have held my interest longer.  Still reading.


I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
I had heard about this for years, and had always been curious about it but never read it.  So I finally did, and I'm glad I did.  It was well-written and touching.

The Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
Been working on this one for a while now.  It's fairly entertaining, but very long.  I figure it originally came out in installments, so I can read it the same way. 

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business - Charles Duhigg
I kept hearing about this, and it sounded interesting.  It was, but I have to admit that I skipped over a couple parts about football and corporations.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions -  Edwin Abbott
This is another one I've been working on for a while.  I kept hearing about/reading references to, so I thought I would check it out.  For some reason, I thought that it was written in the 1960's, but after looking it up, discovered that it was actually published in 1884.  That makes a lot more sense!  Not sure I really like it, although part of my problem is that I'm reading on my Kindle so there are no illustrations, and I think the illustrations may be an important part.

The Student Whisperer - Tiffany Earl and Oliver DeMille
I've mentioned this one here.  This is about how to be a better mentor to your students.

All Creatures Great and Small -  James Herriott
A re-read for me.  A read aloud with Turtlegirl, although Swimmah occasionally listens in.  Swimmah has gotten busier with her own studying and Turtlegirl needed something with me.  Always enjoyable.  Still reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment